Rise Up 4 CS will provide additional help sessions, role models, and engaging computing experiences for females who are in Advanced Placement (AP) Computer Science (CS) A courses in Florida, Georgia, Maryland, and South Carolina. The goal of the project is to increase the number of these students that pass the AP CS A exam. The eventual impact should be to increase the number of females who successfully major in computing fields.
The requirements for the program are:
1) Apply to be part of the program.
2) The student must attend a required meeting kickoff meeting.
3) The student must attend at least 6 help sessions at Georgia Tech or via a webinar to help prepare the student to pass the AP CS A exam. A help session will be offered once a month at Georgia Tech on Sunday afternoons and webinars will be offered at least 4 times a month. To participate in a webinar the student will need access to a computer with an internet connection and a browser.
4) The student must pass the AP CS A exam and score at least a 3 and report his or her score to the project staff. The AP CS A exam scores are usually reported to students in July.
5) The student must complete surveys about his or her attitudes towards computing, and take tests that measure the student's computer science knowledge. The student may also be asked to participate in interviews or focus groups as part of the evaluation of this project.
October 11, 2015 from 1:00pm - 4:00pm in the Klaus Advanced Computing Builidng, Room 2443. Directions to the builidng can be found here.
Parking is $2/hour.
To register please visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SistersRise1516
If you have any questions, please email April Heard at email@example.com.
Barbara Ericson's ebook on how to run Sisters Rise UP 4 CS: http://ice-web.cc.gatech.edu/ce21/SRU4CS/index.html
Java Review for the AP CS A Exam: http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/JavaReview/index.html